Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hillary Clinton Comes to Georgetown!

Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton visited Georgetown University last week to speak about "Energy Diplomacy in the 21st Century."  I was one of the lucky few who stood in line and was able to see her speak.  Being from Alaska, the topic of energy is of particular importance to me.  It is surely one of the largest challenges and opportunities of the 21st century and beyond.
My ticket!
 Seeing Secretary Clinton in person was surreal.  She was my first "political celebrity," yet her voice, mannerisms, way of speaking, and even her hair was already familiar to me.  I greatly admire her leadership and what she has done at the US State Department since being appointed by President Obama in 2009.
Dean Carol Lancaster (Dean of Georgetown School of Foreign Service), and Secretary Clinton
Clinton’s speech came a year after the State Department established the Bureau of Energy Resources, which leads the State Department’s diplomatic efforts on energy. “In the coming weeks, I will be sending policy guidance to every U.S. embassy worldwide,” she said, “instructing them to elevate their reporting on energy issues and pursue more outreach to private sector energy partners."

Video of her speech on Energy Diplomacy and transcript is available here. If any other political celebs visit, I'll try and be first in line!

No comments: