Sunday, November 28, 2010

Backyard mystery

Recently I’ve found a mystery hole in my backyard. It looks like a burrow of some sort, a few feet from my latrine. I’ve never seen any type of animal or insect going in or out of it. I put a rock over it the other day, thinking that if it was a mice or snake hole (do snake even use burrows?) that the rock would keep them from entering my yard. See photo below of rock over hole:

The next morning, I awoke to find the rock moved, quite a few inches from the hole (see photo below of moved rock, with my hand for scale). I immediately placed the rock back over the hole, and the next day found that the same thing had happened.

Now I have become very intrigued as to what is living in this hole and has the capability to move this rock. I really have no idea what it could be. Have any ideas? Help me solve my backyard mystery!

5 comments:

AKgirlie92 said...

What if it is a tarantula hole? I bet a giant spider could move a rock. Scary!

Penny said...

I know! The thought that it could be a spider freaks me out... Maybe a mouse? I haven´t found any mice or rats in my house, but they are literally in every house here, so I wouldn´t be surprised. Also, I´m maybe thinking they could be ants. There are tons of ants here and they´re pretty industrious.

Hank Greer said...

I know this is an old post, but did you ever find out what made the hole???

Unknown said...

Hank, I never did! maybe a rodent or something..?

Anonymous said...

lol i know whats in there...
im not telling you because i really dont know... its probably a snake