Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Champions!

Well, after six long months of daily practices and games every weekend, my team "Gemini" has won the local championships! We beat out four other teams, and let me tell you, it was not pretty. Even though the championship game was fraught with drama, bad calls by biased referees, complaints by both teams and a lot of attitude - we emerged champions. Like most small towns, these rifts between teams run deep, and when it all gets mixed with local politics of the town, it turns out pretty ugly. All the girls are pretty happy, despite the dramatic circumstances in which the final game ended. We had a team dinner after the game and danced until 2 am, still wearing our new uniforms. It was a bittersweet victory, not helped by the fact that my host family was vigorously rooting for the other team and hasn't let me hear the end of it since the night of the game...

All things considered, team Gemini has become a really close group over these past months, and yesterday I felt pretty sad that it was 4:30 pm on a weekday and I wasn't going to volleyball practice...
Some fans.

Our Coaches.

I'll be around for next year's season and am looking forward to hanging out with the girls and guys that I've met through the volleyball league throughout the coming year and a half that I have left in Nicaragua. (Wow, I'm already 1/4 of the way through my service!)

Another note: I should be moving into my own house soon, after a LONG and frustrating process of looking for a house to rent. I'm very ready to leave my current host family. Let's just say we have some fundamental differences. I'll put up a blog soon with photos of my new house. I'm contemplating painting the outside of it pink. Yes, only in Nicaragua would that be completely acceptable and normal.

1 comment:

Marballzki said...

Which one are you in the team pic?