Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How did I get here?

Well, the past few months have been, let's just say, "nomadic" to say the least. I graduated in May from University of Alaska, Fairbanks (UAF) with a double-degree in Spanish and Communication. However, when I crossed the stage at commencement, it was really a lie since I actually had 3 more credits to complete!!! haha So, I had to stay after graduation to do a class for a couple weeks, taking refuge at my friend Mary's house :)
After that, I was back in Sitka, working at Mountain Miss to earn my wonderful discounts on highly expensive outerwear... Caught up with a few friends, saw my family, and generally got my fill of Sitka for a while.
From June-August I was in Anchorage, AK doing an internship through the First Alaskans Institute at the Rasmuson Foundation. If you don't know what the Rasmuson Foundation is, check it out, because they most likely have given thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to an organization, artist, or program that you're close to... (www.rasmuson.org)
Anchorage was alright, but I'm not set on if I would ever live there. Too much driving... Although I did fit in a few fun things (bike ride from Anchorage to Seward - 130 miles, a half-marathon, fishing with my uncle, hanging out with my fellow interns, and doing the ever-so-exciting "networking" in Alaska...)

Which brings me to my current location: Washington, D.C. How exactly did I end up here this fall? Well, I'm not sure, but it was a combination of "networking" and things just working out... I love it when these things happen. I'm doing an internship for External Affairs at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and the program I'm doing my internship through is out of American University. So, I'm staying in the dorms (hello sophmore year again, right?) and I'm also taking a couple classes on the side.

I just arrived at the end of August, and I haven't stopped since. I really like D.C. I haven't been here for four years, but some things just don't change (but Administrations do...) All the monuments and major sights are just as I left them. I really liked flying into Reagan Airport and being at eye-level with the Washington Monument...
My two roommates are also in my internship program. Desirae is from Oklahoma and Amy is from Florida. We get along well (when we have the time to even see eachother...) It's a little crowded though having three girls in a room, but I'm not complaining.

Last Sunday, I spent the whole day at the National Gallery of Art. It's actually made up of two buildings (one for classical art and one for contemporary) and a sculpture garden. They're hosting an exhibit right now on Afgan Treasures that were found buried recently. Amazing tiny gold medallions and crowns and pins... Very intricate and well-preserved.

I'm a little in shock about how different the two sides of our country are. I can barely believe I'm still in the same nation!
More later. Right now I'm off to bed. My 50 minute metro ride in the morning to work really cuts down on my sleeping time!

No comments: